Chapter 1.11 - Dad's Only Deer

Another thought here on Dad: Years later in 1946 there was a family reunion with Dad, Uncle Walt–Dad’s youngest brother–and Uncle Alfred–Dad’s oldest brother. Uncle Alfred and his family were visiting from Santa Ana, California and I caught a ride with them from Utah. We were at one of the relatives’ place talking about deer hunting. Dad never said anything to me about any so I asked him while we were there together, Dad, did you ever get a deer? His brothers laughed and they told the following story that embarrassed Dad. It went like this: When Dad and Mom and us little kids were living out by Boorman Lake, Dad worked at the sawmill that was on the opposite side of the lake from their house. Every morning he would get in a rowboat and row across the lake to go to work. This one morning as he was rowing across, he saw a buck deer swimming across the lake. So he rowed up to him and took the oar out of the oar lock and beat the deer senseless. He tied a rope on him, pulled him to the shore and cut his throat and dressed him out. That is the only deer that Dad ever got in his life. Then I knew why he never bragged about deer hunting when I would tell about a couple three I had gotten by that time.


Chapter 1.11 - Dad's Only Deer (T1.12)

No comments: