Chapter 1.18 - Zigglers / Uncle Walt's Place

Right after graduation 1931, I went up a lived in Dad’s little one room shack on his place and helped him clear land. It was this summer when my friend Christy came up and stayed with me a while. Then the fall of 1931 I moved in with the Zigglers. I worked long and hard hours milking cows, cleaning barns, prun[ing] five acres of raspberries in my spare time. At this place there was no love and affection. Marge and Herman, uncle and aunt, slept in different bedrooms and they hardly spoke a civil word to each other. This was an unhappy household. In the spring when I went to leave, Herman got really angry with me and said, I kept you all winter and now when I need you you’re going somewhere else. And where I went was I moved with Uncle Walt and Aunt Clara and little Bernice, their only child then—she was born on my twelfth birthday—down to Big Fork where they had traded in the old Grandma and Grandpa Krause house as down payment for a rundown farm out in the Big Fork area.

Chatper 1.18 - Zigglers / Uncle Walt's Place (T1.21)

No comments: