Another thought here: When we were little kids, about once a year Dad would take the train from Soldier’s Home to Kalispell, about seventeen miles, and he would come and see us for a short time between chores at Soldier’s Home. In later years when I was working on the place I asked him, Why didn’t you come to visit Lil and me more? He said it was too hard just seeing us and having to leave us. I can understand that. Sis and I used to go on the train when we were about ten and twelve years old, respectively. It took thirty-five cents one-way on the train and I’d earn some money selling Saturday Evening Posts and Lady’s Home Journals and we’d jump on the train with Grandma’s permission and go see Dad for a day. And then Dad would give us seventy cents so that we could get back on the train later in the afternoon.
Chapter 1.9 - Taking the Train to See Dad (T1.10)
No comments:
Post a Comment