And then at Christmas time in 1932 while I was with Uncle Herman Krause and his family, I wrote a pretty pathetic Christmas letter to Uncle Alfred and Aunt Edna and Margret in New York. Soon after New Year’s I got a letter from Aunt Edna asking if I’d like to come to New York. They had a job there fore me and offered to send me the money to come by train. It took $51 and I did it. I told no one but my grandma, my sis, my dad and of course Uncle Herman. I didn’t want anybody throwing a monkey wrench into this opportunity to get somewhere. I lived with Uncle Al, Aunt Edna and Margret in various apartments in the Bronx, New York. Uncle Al had a one-man butcher shop Aunt Edna baked German bakery good and sold them in the shop, Margret worked in an office and I worked in the meat packing plant. I was paid ten dollars a week at first but I worked it up to $25 a week by working hard and being honest. I didn’t like it there, they didn’t like it there.
Chapter 1.21 - New York City (T1.24)
My dad and I visited Grandpa at the end of June in 2003. On Monday, June 30, we sat down and recorded an additional interview with Grandpa about his time in New York City. I felt this was an important turning point in his personal history, and he barely mentioned it in his tapes. The interview is about 30 minutes, divided into five parts:
New York Part I
New York Part II
New York Part III
New York Part IV
New York Part V
Chapter 1.21 - New York City (T1.24)
My dad and I visited Grandpa at the end of June in 2003. On Monday, June 30, we sat down and recorded an additional interview with Grandpa about his time in New York City. I felt this was an important turning point in his personal history, and he barely mentioned it in his tapes. The interview is about 30 minutes, divided into five parts:
New York Part I
New York Part II
New York Part III
New York Part IV
New York Part V
No comments:
Post a Comment